Why the Costa Brava? What makes this area of Spain so attractive? There are people that have traveled around the world and ultimately buy a home at the Costa Brava. We’ll tell you something more about the Costa Brava and hope that you will come to take a look by yourself!
The Costa Brava is situated in the province of Girona. Girona is one of the provinces of the autonomous region of Catalonia. The capital of Catalonia is Barcelona. Catalonia is one of the most prosperous regions of Spain. The Costa Brava stretches from Blanes to the French border. Costa Brava means ‘rough coast’ with its rough cliffs, caves, pine forests, mountains and beautiful beaches.
The Costa Brava has a lot to offer:
- an excellent climate with an average of 300 days sunshine a year
- beautiful beaches that are not overcrowded
- picturesque villages
- cosmopolitan Barcelona in one hour driving distance
- the city of Girona with its historic center, the cathedral, the Jewish district, charming squares and
terraces, nightlife, restaurants, etc.
- wide range of cultural activities: festivals, concerts, village fairs
- museums, such as the Dali museum in Figueras
- the ruins of Empuries that once was the Greco-Roman city Emporion
- water sports: sailing, diving, snorkling, sufing
- golf: there are eight golf courses in the region
- skiing: within 2 hours you are in the Pyrenees
- horse riding
- mountain biking
- hiking through the mountains and along the coasts
- enjoying the Mediterranean cuisine, not only top-class restaurants with Michelin star but also many restaurants
where you can have a good three-course dinner menu for 10-12 euros
- several nature parks within driving distance: Parque Nacional de Aigüestortes, Cap de Creus, Montseny,
There are also some practical reasons for choosing the Costa Brava:
- coming from the North of Europe, it is a good distance to drive by car and you don’t need to rent a car here
- good flight connections. Girona Airport is just half an hour driving distance. In 1 hour and 15 mins drive you are
also at Barcelona Airport.
- friendly people who really do their best to speak English.